Sunday, October 28, 2018

Week 10/29-11/2

Last week, students wrote their hero definition essay. Many of them found the writing process to be much easier this time around (it will continue to get easier the more and more we write).  

This week, we will finish the essay by peer editing, revising, and reflecting on the essay. It will then be my turn to assess them (I should have this completed by the next blog post--fingers crossed). Next, we will take a break from essay writing and move into actually reading a novel--Maus I: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (1986). It is a Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel about the Jewish Holocaust that symbolically portrays the Jewish people as mice and the German people as cats. This graphic novel will help students learn about the Jewish Holocaust and research-based narrative writing, which they will be moving into when they return from Thanksgiving break. 
Monday
Hero Definition Essay: Share and Revise (Essay Due to GC by 11:59 p.m.)
*Chromebook needs to be brought to school and fully charged!
Tuesday
Hero Definition Essay: Reflection
*Chromebook needs to be brought to school and fully charged!
Wednesday
Maus I: My Father Bleeds History (PDF)/Group Collaboration 
Thursday
Maus I: My Father Bleeds History (PDF)/Group Poster Instructions 
Friday
Maus I: My Father Bleeds History (PDF)/Group Poster Instructions
*Chromebook needs to be brought to school and fully charged!
AR Log Check (Log/Signature)
*Students need to be reading an AR book that has a reading level of 3.5+ for 30 minutes 5 nights per week. Students need to earn 30 points at every checkpoint (12/11, 03/19, and 05/28). Please see the Accelerated Reader Roadmap for more information.