Sunday, October 2, 2016

Week 10/3-10/7

We finally finished our first short story "Charles" last week. The students were troopers and made it through their depth and complexity handouts, an argumentative short-essay test, and a group narrative from a different character's perspective. Their "handwriting" was done after that; however, then they got their next argumentative essay (at least, they are back on the computers).

This week we will continue to work on the new argumentative essay regarding the 2016 Presidential Election. This is not a guided essay; rather, this essay will demonstrate their implementation of what was taught. I am always here for support. If you feel your child is struggling, please have them email me or use Remind to communicate with me. I am always available for help (well, until like 9:00 p.m. when I make myself go to bed). I am actually looking forward to grading these essays. Hopefully, they will help me decide!

I also want to thank you for all of the "Remind" messages this week and weekend and to thank you for voting. I am trying to get part of my Donors Choose Bring on the Books: We Love to Read! project for books funded and I love free money from these large companies. Sonic is willing to donate up to $600 for the projects that have the most votes--I am competitive, so I am hoping that I win. Fingers crossed! Click here to continue voting! You can vote every day and if you share it on social media or email the link to someone, we get extra votes. For this week's voting, I think they decide the top votes tonight at 10:00 p.m.
Monday
Presidential Election Argumentative Essay Evidence Sheet and Outline Due at 11:59 p.m. to GC
Tuesday
KROC Center College and Career Fair Field Trip (No English Work-Woo Hoo!)
Wednesday
Presidential Election Argumentative Essay
AR Log Check (Log-5 entries/Signature)
  *Students need to be reading an AR book that has a reading level >3.5 for 30 minutes 5 nights per week. Students need to earn 35 points at every quarter checkpoint (10/21, 12/9, 3/10 and 6/2). GOOD NEWS: Students only need 5-entries to take an AR quiz!
Thursday

Presidential Election Argumentative Essay 
Friday
Presidential Election Argumentative Essay Due at 8:00 pm. to GC
Peer Editing Feedback Sheet
*This is also the day that I will be accompanying the Honor Society club to Cal Berkeley!